Whilst many expat families choose to live in “the burbs” of Shanghai like Hong Qiao and Jin Qiao where some of the schools are located or even further out in Minhang or Kanqiao, some families enjoy the downtown life and a little longer trip to school.
Here is a quick summary of the Shanghai properties for rent in our beloved Former French Concession area.
Xuhui – The Former French Concession area
The Former French Concession area in Xuhui District is a quiet and green area which has several family-friendly compounds. The area around Anfu Rd and Wulumuqi Rd has loads of grocery (local & int’l), vegetable stores, cafes and restaurants and is undoubtedly the most convenient of all locations to live.
Right on Anfu Rd & Wulumuqi Rd:
Kingsville apartments have huge living areas with fabulous south facing views and great kitchens. Whilst the bedrooms are a bit on the small side and the club is a little basic it is still a popular choice for families. Try and get a renovated unit there as the old ones are pretty shabby nowadays.
Chevalier apartments are really roomy with four good sized bedrooms and large ensuite. The kitchen has loads of storage area with an Ayi room out the back and good size bedrooms. It also has a great clubhouse with a pool.
The Summit apartment’s kid friendly clubhouse with its great indoor play area attracts many families. The north/south facing 01 and 02 units have a spacious living/dining area and fabulous kitchens. Master bedrooms have a full sized ensuite and walk in robe.
Tucked behind Huashan Park:
These three compounds were built by one developer and share the same lovely clubhouse with its great little kid’s playroom.
Many of Belgravia’s units feature an open plan galley kitchen and the living area has a modern spacious feel. Bathrooms are beautifully finished and bedrooms are roomy with closets. One of Shanghai’s most modern luxury apartments.
Shama Huashan is more of a classic style luxury apartment and comes fully serviced by Shama if you are taking one of their units. Solidly built with lovely kitchens and bathrooms. Large living areas and good sized bedrooms.
Chateau Pinnacle is without doubt a luxury apartment to rent with a classy and elegant marble and wooden finish. Huge kitchens that fit a kitchen table and chairs. Large apartments have huge living areas, spacious bedrooms and bathrooms. Master bedrooms have a private suite area with large walk in robe and a study room.
Just off Huashan Rd:
Kerry’s Central Residence Phase 1 & 2. Phase 1 is older but has some nicely renovated units and a fabulous KID friendly clubhouse complete with one very big ball pool. Central Residence Phase 2 are very stylish Hong Kong luxury serviced apartments and are more up market with high quality and finish. These apartments have a great gourmet kitchen, elegant bathrooms and comfy bedrooms. There is a gym onsite but residences can use the clubhouse of Phase 1.
A quiet Hunun Rd:
- Chanter Garden have great family apartment with really spacious bright living areas overlooking lovely gardens. Good sized attractive kitchens and bathrooms and large bedrooms.
- Tomson Xinguo Gardens is a small compound with a selection of duplexes and triplexes all with totally different interiors. Plenty of kids use the front grounds to play on.
- Lanting Apartments and Townhouses are tucked down a lane. The apartments and townhouses are really spacious and well priced. They have their own smart club house.
- Beverly Crt is a medium rise which is up the road on Wukang Rd has lovely spacious apartments with big family sized kitchens and nice balconies for summer.
NOTE: As these properties don’t have their own club most residents use the Radisson Xinguo Clubhouse and get to enjoy not only a fabulous fully equipped club but can enjoy its gorgeous green views.
Heng Shan Rd Boulevard:
- 41 Heng Shan Rd is one of the finest in the area with its grand entrance and doormen to greet you. The lower floor apartments are more cosy where the upper have more space and balconies. Great galley kitchen and stylish bathrooms. Beautiful bedrooms that can be a little tight for older kids.
- Regal East Asia is set at the back of the hotel on Heng Shan Rd. Large apartments have huge living areas overlooking the FFC area. Many units are newly renovated. Excellent management and use of hotel facilities.
- Off Jianguo Xi Rd there is a nice small compound called Le Marquis. Apartments are well priced, attractive and spacious with different furnishings according to the landlord’s choice.
Huai Hai Zhong Rd area:
- Hauting Crt is tucked down Huating Road and is a nice low rise with modern units. Interior designed apartments of high quality with quiet green surrounds.
- Gao An Crt is Huating Crt’s sister compound on the beautiful tree lined Gao An Crt. Recently renovated and re furbished these modern apartments are one of the most popular with families. Only 16 units in total in this low rise block.
- Gasgoyne is a historic building that has been totally refurbished with attractive good quality fit outs. Bright open living and kitchen areas and good sized bedrooms. Located on Huai Hai Zhong Rd near Changshu Rd.
Bustling Xujia Hui:
Grand Gateway is conveniently located by a huge shopping mall and department stores. The newly renovated apartments are really beautiful, stylish and modern. Residents can enjoy full services such as housekeeping and serviced items. Different layouts with different styles, some with open plan kitchens.
Arcadia’s light and bright serviced apartments are well built and popular with families that have small kids. Conveniently located near the Xu Jia Hui intersection with its shopping mall and department stores. Many apartments have been recently renovated and updated.
Shama Xu Jia Hui are lovely luxury serviced apartments with a beautiful modern finish throughout. Big living, lovely kitchens and delightful furnishings make this block a popular choice. Only downside for some is the hustle and bustle of the street.
For those on a tight housing budget but wanting to live in the area of the Former French Concession check out Ambassy Court with its super club and outdoor pool, Palace Court which is close to bars and restaurants and the conveniently located Joffree Garden.For local apartments in the Xu Jia Hui area try La Cite, Fountain Garden, Oriental Manhattan and Novel Garden.
Need some more assistance and advice with finding properties? Email me at email@example.com or visit my website.
Email Adrienne at firstname.lastname@example.org to redeem this Christmas Gift Voucher:
Adrienne Farrelly is one of Shanghai’s most experienced expatriate Property Agents helping expats find new homes since 1994. You can reach her at +86 13122 810 421 or email@example.com. Connect with her on Skype at shanghaiproperties8. Shanghai Properties